Friday, April 20, 2007

Lebanese Garlic Sauce (AKA Toum)

1 garlic bulb, peeled and crushed
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
3 Tbs mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste

Process garlic and lemon juice in blender until it forms a paste. Add olive oil in a slow, thin stream while continuing to blend. Add mayonnaise and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste. This can be stored for a couple of weeks in a glass container in the refrigerator. If it separates, just stir again.

I find that this is VERY lemony and decrease the lemon a bit, and you can add more mayo to make it the consistency and flavor of your liking. It works well as a side to many dishes and my personal favorite is dipping for pita bread. Some people stir in a dash of cayenne. It's versatile and oh so yummy! There are many ways to prepare toum and a wide range of flavors.

I became hooked on this at a wonderful restaurant in Flint, Michigan, Bada West (Lebanese cuisine), along with their completely excellent chicken shawarma and fattoush salad. If you're ever in the area, it's definitely worth the stop!

1 comment:

Karen Putz said...

I'm going to try this one! I've been looking for a sauce like this to top grilled chicken and I think this will work well.